logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit r4809: fix java.lang.AssertionError while building index from unicode tiles

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Sun Oct 24 17:14:25 BST 2021

Hi Carlos

When mkgmap doesn't have a resources/sort for the given code page, it
defaults the sort to cp1252 (Western European).

As part of building the the various indexes, it sorts counties,
regions, cities, streets etc using this sort, but any characters that
don't have a defined sort order are ignored in the ordering. The result
of this is that, using cp1252 on Chinese, all names seem the same.

I suspect that indexes are mostly empty and find is ignoring them.

There is some logic that is differentiating the names in these
structures on exact naming, and this inconsistency causes the assertion
crash.

The actual output in the map image is cp836, which Basecamp and
Mapsource appear to handle. I don't know how well it is supported by
Garmin devices.

Is there a reason for using cp836 rather than cp65001/unicode?

Ticker