logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Virtual paths

From ael witwall3 at disroot.org on Wed Jul 29 09:22:18 BST 2020

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 06:33:04PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> ael <witwall3 at disroot.org> writes:
> I prefer soemthing like a polygon of type highway=path that covers the
> free-routable space, to which regular ways are connected to.  Sort of
> the same thing, but without adding relations in, and treating
> free-routable areas as first-class items similar to line-routable ways.

I did briefly consider something like that: particlarly using areas.
But relations are more general. There are situations where the
areas are only accessible for portions of the boundary.

But I haven't thought any of this through. More importantly, I have
not implemented a router. People familiar with routing algorithms
and their practical problems really need to drive this sort of
thing.

ael