logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Performance of POI search on the Device

From franco_bez franco.bez at web.de on Mon Jun 1 06:16:29 BST 2020

Hi all,

searching for POIs on my Oregon often is very frustrating. It virtually
takes forever.
Yesterday I noticed that some POI types are reasonably fast, while others
are 10 times slower.

I assume that this is some sort of index Problem.

For example
using my DACH map, built with mkgmap-r4506, map size 2.7GiB on my Oregon
750t
- searching for Gas Stations takes some 5 seconds
- searching for Bank/ATM takes some 50 seconds
- searching for Any-/All Poi types also takes some 50 seconds for the first
Elements to appear in the list.

If I can trust my memory, in the past, maybe some 2 years ago, searching for
Gas Stations was just as slow as any other POI type.

What can I do to get the POI search fast for any POI type in the map ?
I tried --make-poi-index but this didn't make any noticeable difference.

Ciao,
 Franco