logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] WG: AW: max-jobs patch

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Feb 10 09:17:09 GMT 2018

Sorry, answered to Henning instead of the list, see below...

Von: Gerd Petermann <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Samstag, 10. Februar 2018 09:52
An: Henning Scholland
Betreff: AW: AW: [mkgmap-dev] max-jobs patch

Hi Henning,

splitter uses multiple threads by default, but up to now only during the last phase that writes the tiles it can use
more than 2. Not a big problem, most of the work is I/O bound.

The workload in splitter is completely different to mkgmap. Peak memory depends on the --keep-complete option and
the max-areas option, not so much on the number of parallel threads. In some cases I see slightly better throughput when
I use --max-threads=6 on my 4 core machine, but only a few percent.

The last time when I measured it I was quite happy with the defaults.