logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Basecamp crashes with my map

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Aug 5 20:09:21 BST 2017

Hi Gert,

normally splitter uses Garmin units, the log shows e.g.
Map is being split for resolution 13:
 - area boundaries are aligned to 0x800 map units (0.0439453125 degrees)
 - areas are multiples of 0x800 map units wide and high

So, if you force a split at other boundaries this might cause problems, at least with routing.
I suggest to post a link to the special tile for detailed analysis.

ciao,
Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von thesurveyor at wolke7.net <thesurveyor at wolke7.net>
Gesendet: Samstag, 5. August 2017 20:54:17
An: mkgmap-dev Mailing List
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] Basecamp crashes with my map

Hi all,

I've a question about splitting a map.

I'm using splitter to split a large pbf-file with contourlines to about 300 tiles. This works fine. But now I have the requirement to support a process
with two parts of the whole map, splitted exactly at a given latitude. So I've written a simple tool that reads the tile-list from splitter ( --write-kml),
searches for the tiles which are north or south of the given latitude and writes them to a file. For the tiles which are divided by the given
latitude the tool divides the tile in two parts and writes the parts as new tiles to the file.

As the next step splitter is called again with the file as a parameter  (--split-file) and mkgmap is used to create the two maps.
All this works wonderful, but yesterday I've seen that Basecamp crashes when I install those tiles.

I'm doing this since several years now, but never noticed that behaviour. Maybe I didn't see it, because I'm not using Basecamp very often.

So today I spent some hours to look deeper into that problem. I could eliminate one tile. Then I noticed that size of this tile is just about 8 kB.
And when I deleted the tile from the map Basecamp doesn't crash anymore. Of course the map should have a hole now :-)

Ok, so far so good, but what's the reason for that behaviour. This tile was splitted by my tool. So maybe I'm doing something wrong.
But I have splitted a lot more tiles which seem to work.

So I have some questions:
1) I'm splitting the tiles into two parts, at full or half degrees, e,g. 47.00000 or 47.50000.
2) The mentioned tile is less than 1 degree in north to south direction.
Could one ot those questions lead to that behaviour?

Do you have another idea what could be wrong with a tile that crashes Basecamp. Or do you have an idea what to check?
The map is working well on different Garmin devices (Oregon, etrex hcx).

Many thanks for your support.

Best regards,
Gert