logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Optimizing MapSplitter

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Nov 15 19:23:23 GMT 2014

Hi Gerd

I tried out the v3 of the patch.  It looks good, just looking at
the pattern in inkscape.

There is a shift towards smaller divs, though the average is still
quite large (in area).

> I don't think that the current algo is completely wrong.
> I think it is better to start with the complete data and divide it into
> smaller parts as that algo keeps the information of
> the location of elements, while your approach is likely
> to compare many bboxes which are (too) far away from each other.

Yes, implementation speed might require some more complexity - but it
seems that it should produce a division split where all of them are
no bigger than required without further splitting the elements.

If that is the case, and it still makes no difference in speed, then
maybe we are pretty much as good as we are going to get.

..Steve