logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Possible solution for deformed polygons

From Andrzej Popowski popej at poczta.onet.pl on Sun Nov 24 15:52:41 GMT 2013

Hi WanMil,

 > So instead of using Garmins housenumber search you want to add
 > a small road for each POI named with "${streetname} ${housenumber}'?

Yes. Only including house number in street name could be limited to
cases, where it contains non-numeric characters. And there should be a
possibility to add house number numeric value to this street as a number
for indexing, not only as a part of the name.

 > * Wouldn't that blow up the index size?

Probably, but it should work. I have an transparent overlay with nearly
2.5 millions of address POI and index img for Mapsource is about 30MB.
Quite manageable value.

 > * Must each invisible road be connected to the rest of the road
 > network?
 > Otherwise I expect that Garmin is not able to route to the
 > housenumbered streets and we get thousands of routing islands?

These roads don't have to be routable, only searchable. In my overlay I
use roads type 0x13 with length of about 12m. Roads aren't connected to
any network and whole overlay is not routable. GPS finds an address on
non-routable road and then creates a route like to a POI, which is not
placed on a road. See attached screen shoots from nuvi.

 > * mkgmap would have to modify/create a TYP file with one invisible
 > road type. Should this be processed by mkgmap or is that a task of
 > the map generator to ensure that the additional road type is
 > invisible?

In my opinion mkgmap should provide generic tools and the rest should be
left to map developer.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej