logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap memory problem with big, nearly empty tiles

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sun Jan 22 15:00:27 GMT 2012

Hi

> And why does mkgmap need so much memory for this tile? Is there
> any way to improve the mkgmap algorithm to work with this tile?

The area of the map is broken down into a number of sub areas, which
have a maximum size and so there are a vast number required to cover
that area.

I believe that the algorithm could be amended to skip divisions that
are empty and so the out of memory problem could be avoided. Its quite
possible that the resulting map would not work though.

But anyway in this case I would have thought that this is a splitter
error?

Even if it isn't, splitter needs to have a maximum tile size and I
thought it did, or at least I thought it had at one time.

..Steve