logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Too many pois on multipolygon areas

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Tue Sep 27 11:55:34 BST 2011

Minko (ligfietser at online.nl) wrote:

> I have enabled the add-pois-to-areas option, because this way I can
> search for a certain tag that is placed on an area like landuse=*,
> tourism=* or building=yes. But sometimes those pois are cluttering
> the map, especially if this area is a type=multipoygon relation.
>
> Take for example this multipolygon relation:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/949481
> tourism=zoo is tagged only once on the outer way:
>
> However, the multipolygon function of mkgmap splits this area up in
> several parts (to render the inner islands, which is fine) but it
> also creates too many pois by the add-pois-to-areas for this one
> tourism=zoo area: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5763/zoow.jpg
>
> I'd like to see just one elephant icon instead of several. Is it
> possible to execute the add-pois-to-areas action before the
> multipolygon action takes place?
> Or is it possible to set some rules in the style file to make some
> exceptions for areas with type=multipolygon?

This is a known issue
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/known_issues#Too_many_POIs_for_a_given_area_that_has_been_split_using_multipolygon_code).

WanMil had a look at it a few months back and concluded that there
wasn't a quick fix
(http://www.mail-archive.com/mkgmap-dev@lists.mkgmap.org.uk/msg07431.html).

I would really like to see this bug fixed as it can add many duplicate
POIs to a map.

--
Charlie