logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] suggested use of add-pois-to-areas

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Jul 25 08:39:24 BST 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 07:36:30PM +0200, Chris66 wrote:
>In the default style you have all shops in the polygon-file (shop=*)
>but no amenity=library or amenity=pharmacy, so these are not found when
>mapped as area.

We could of course add these key=value pairs to the polygons file, but I
am not sure if it makes sense to generate polygons for them, even for
shop=*. The POI would be enough. In my opinion, natural=* and landuse=*
polygons are usually enough. Building polygons can be useful, but having
additional amenity=* or shop=* polygons on top of building polygons is
simply clutter in my opinion.

The patch that Torsten Leistikow posted at
http://gis.638310.n2.nabble.com/POIs-for-areas-td6043656.html is a good
start. It adds an explicit add-poi action to the style language. Torsten
proposed syntax like this:

amenity=bank [0x2f06 level 3 add_poi]

As far as I understand, add-pois-to-areas does something to avoid
generating duplicate POIs in case there is an explicit POI for the
polygon. The add_poi action should do something similar, perhaps have an
optional 'duplicate search radius' parameter? It could also be useful to
generate the POI in the OSM domain instead of generating it directly in
the map.  In that way, the points file could add some additional
mapping, such as

amenity=bank { name '${name} (${currency})' | '${name}' }

to give an artificial example.

Best regards,

	Marko