logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway shields in label occasionally dropped

From Gert Münzel Gert.Muenzel at netcologne.de on Thu Nov 5 18:04:08 GMT 2009

> *From* Clinton Gladstone *on* /Thu Nov 5 16:45:10 GMT 2009/
>
> >On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Nakor wrote:
> >/
> />/ Perhaps it would be an idea to lower the limit for shields to 5
> />/ characters, after spaces have been removed?
> />  /
> />/ This will cause problems here in the US with routes like BUS US-127
> /

> >>Can this be reasonably displayed in a highway shield? Since spaces
> >>have to be removed, this would wind up looking like [BUSUS-127]. Or
> >>have I misunderstood?
No, you didn't.
As i told already the example //A6144(M)//  given in the filter code
busts the shield on my 60csx , so that it's not looking nice.
(maybe thats depending on the device you have).
"A6144(M)" is the max. length i saw in an original garmin map of europe.

Depending on the letter you use ( they needs different space for
displaying) i would say 6-8 sign are really enough.
More you not want have as it really clutters up the display.

The idea of reducing it to 5 signs isn't good as there exist e.g in
Italy shields like "S45BIS", "A26DIR" or "ST2018a" in Germany.
or "D763 B1" in France.
And reducing it to 3 sign in the case if no numeric is present doesn't
bring any benefit and e.g. may constrain those who use it for marking
hiking trails and other stuff.

The  "BUS US-127" is simply to long for displaying it in a highway
shield on GPS.
Isn't there a way dealing with this via stylefile?. e.g looking up the
content of REF and checking if there is a "BUS " at the beginning and
then cutting of this "BUS " so that only "US-127" remains  which then is
displayable ?
Just an idea of a poor man having less experience with style files.

cheers