logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Precision circle

From Marco Certelli marco_certelli at yahoo.it on Mon May 25 09:56:37 BST 2009

Just a little bit of info. I made some experiments with a GPS72 with other maps (POI only, not OSM) a couple of years ago. I remember the radius of the circle precision is something like "GPS real-time in-accuracy" + "displayed level map in-accuracy". The map in-accuracy depends on the "garmin" level. If a map shows a level 24 (the most possible "accurate" level), the map precision is 3/4 meters. If the map has only levels up to 23, the precision is 6/8 meters. If the map has a maximum level of 22, precision is 10/15 meters, and so on.

Ciao, Marco.

P.S. Level 24 means using 24 bits to store coordinates (lat/lon). And so on...