logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Feedback r991 map on etrex legend HCx

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Wed Apr 8 11:02:31 BST 2009

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the feedback.

> I created a new map with r991 and wanted to give some feedback:
>
> I used the zipped osm data from geofabrik.de for thuringia.
>
> java -Xmx1500M -jar splitter.jar --mapid=41000001 --maxnodes=1000000
> thueringen.osm.bz2
>
> java -Xmx1512M -jar mkgmap.jar --tdbfile --family-id=41
> --family-name=OSM_Thueringen
> --series-name=OSM_Thueringen --description=OSM_routable_map
> --overview-mapname=41000000 --route --gmapsupp --latin1
> --net 410000*.osm.gz
>
> Splitter produced only one tile with the maxnodes=1000000 setting.
> Generation was fine, no errors whatsoever.
> The map worked fine on both mapsource and my eTrex Legend HCx.
>
> Some things I noticed while testing on the etrex:
>
> - The address search field appears in the menu. Of course it doesn't
> find anything by now, but at least the menu is present already.

It does work with some known limitations.

1 - you need to enter a number or at least make the field blank.
Otherwise, no addresses will be shown.

2 - the incremental search for city names does not work (you mention
this below).

3 - incremental search doesn't work for road names consisting of only
digits

> - The road-crossings search field works, but the city name input field
> behaves slightly erratic. It displays a list of road names
> (alphabetically sorted) to choose from. But when I enter a letter, the
> list disappears. I have to type the full name of a city, which will
> make the (full) list reappear with the specific city selected. (Same
> behavior in the citys field of the address search menu)

Yes, this is known weirdness.

> - Roundabouts give routing informations in the wrong direction. Maybe
> this can be fixed be adding country informations to the mkgmap
> options. I thought this was implemented by looking in the is_in tag now.

There has recently been discussed a fix for roundabout direction but
that has not been evaluated yet in mkgmap.

> - There are no road name pois to search for. I thought generation is
> default by now and the --add-road-name-pois is no longer needed?

No, the option is still needed and it is called --road-name-pois.

> - The motorway exit menu works fine. Not tried searching though.

There's known weirdness in that as well because the gps will find exits
in the basemap in preference to exits in the osm map.

> - A lot of POIs are named e.g. UnnamedParking or UnnamedATM (These are
> translations from my german names). I don't know where the 'Unnamed'
> string comes from, but it would surely be better to ignore missing
> tags instead of printing 'unnamed'.

Don't know anything about that feature.

> - Some search menues contain a 'find by name' context menu, some
> don't. (Only the 'find nearest ...'). As the 'find nearest ...' menu
> is limited to a fixed number of entries it's not possible to search
> for pois far away. As a workaround I could of course use the unlimited
> 'find by name' in the 'all pois' menu. Can anybody confirm that those
> menues appear/don't appear with other (commercial) maps?
>
> - General routing works fine. Recalculation is fine for me, at least
> for going by car.

Good.

Cheers,

Mark