logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] split using --polgon-file

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Apr 4 09:19:30 BST 2024

Hi Felix,

reg. 2: Hmm, maybe I never tried poly files with holes? The current code more or less ignores them now. I didn't expect that, but unless there is a good reason to use holes I am not motivated to invest time here.
I'd rather document the behaviour as unpredictable ;)
reg. 3: I can't tell you what you should want to achive. Splitter has some goals like
- don't create (almost) empty tiles
- don't create long narrow tiles
- don't create too huge tiles
- try to calculate tiles so that each is close to the -max-nodes value
If all those goals are met the split is considered nice and splitter can stop searching for a better one.
The splitter output is meant to help (me) when splitter doesn't find a solution.
reg. 4: I have no idea what you are trying to optimize. If you think your device works better with smaller tiles you can use a smaller -max-nodes value. I guess most users here in the forum try to minimize the disk space and CPU time costs.
reg. 5: I tried with Niedersachen split into 25, 2000 or 6000 tiles. The gmapsupp sizes are ~128MB, ~209MB and 2370MB. When I use a Hex browser to look at the gmapsupp files I see a lot more zeros in the larger gmapsupp with more tiles. I think you may have hit an error in the block size calculation because of an integer overflow but even when I correct this the size is much larger. That's probably a limit in the FAT file system that is used in *.IMG format. I'll open a new thread regarding the fix for the calculation in mkgmap.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Felix Herwegh <mlmmduk at herwegh.de>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. April 2024 22:08
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] split using --polgon-file

Hi Gerd,

> Hope this helps... It shure does, thanks!

Some follow-up nevertheless, if I may...

reg. 2: Exactly (?) what I tried first. No hole generated though (splitter 653; p.e. @ resolution=17, max-nodes=10000 -> 320 tiles and @ resolution=13, max-nodes=1200000 -> 3 tiles )

MallorcaTest Mallorca 3.218991 40.023410 2.980039 40.004478 2.705381 39.892882 2.504880 39.751547 2.274167 39.631079 2.238462 39.546414 2.471921 39.378897 2.639463 39.448922 2.699887 39.306677 2.903134 39.291799 2.867429 39.102360 2.971799 39.057586 3.188779 39.270539 3.273923 39.306677 3.381040 39.468007 3.570554 39.664916 3.567807 39.783215 3.392026 39.848614 3.249204 39.821196 3.323362 39.951861 3.218991 40.023410 END !MallorcaHole 2.848204 39.748379 2.576291 39.643770 2.848204 39.560707 2.980040 39.560707 3.337094 39.624733 2.980040 39.748379 2.848204 39.748379 END END

Assuming the small overall size of the island might be critical, I unsuccessfully tried a big chunk of Germany with some big hole too. Also unsuccessfully tried "none, 1 and !2" for names. JOSMs .poly export is without the exponential format, but that works well with splitter too, without holes. Since Geofabriks poly uses way more points I tried a new Mallorca poly with >40 points each for outer and inner, but to no avail. I then made a SouthAfrica map with Lesotho successfully spared out (!), using Geofabrics original poly as well as that one exported again by JOSM w/o the exponential notation. Using my identical script and configs, style and type. And Geofabriks South-Africa pbf ;-). Using all of Africa as source, Lesotho is there though :-( Lastly I tried setting --keep-complete=true to false, but that wasn't responsible either.

Fishin' in the dark...

What am I missing/doing wrong? Using: java -Xmx8G -jar /home/felix/AA-Poolm/osm/Soft/splitter-latest/splitter.jar /home/felix/AA-Poolm/osm/AutoGen/SA/SA-R/../SA.o5m --mapid=54320001 --max-nodes=1200000 --max-areas=4096 --geonames-file=/home/felix/AA-Poolm/osm/sources/cities15000.zip --keep-complete=true --output=o5m --polygon-file=/home/felix/AA-Poolm/osm/poly/hgh/Geofabrik-SouthAfrica.poly --output-dir=/home/felix/AA-Poolm/osm/AutoGen/SA/SA-R/5432-SA-R-split
Has anybody successfully used this feature with splitter lately? I also still wonder, that my wrong .poly syntax tries for the second polygon all went through uncommented and assume, Geofabrik using their .poly on other software only.

Is there any characteristic output in splitters log to look for, while processing subtracting polygones? Found none (producing no holes...haha).

I'm done for today ;-), especially since this punching holes is just curiosity and not needed at all.

reg. 3: Not confused, but wondering about reporting "nice" results after having given up and accepted "anything" in what I interpreted as subsequent steps. Nevertheless: just a final "solution is nice" is what to aim for? Are the criteria I found for that about correct?

reg. 4: May I assume then, aiming for < 2048, optionally smaller, but finally "nice" tiles < 100%, using a reasonable resolution, could be a good strategy? If not prioritizing but watching performance and keeping an eye on filesizes? At least for targeting non-rectangular shaped maps?
And that some few tiles with very few nodes may be unavoidable and have to be accepted at times (p.e. due to having nearly all sea, if the polygon is not exactly following shore)? Is a max. accepted tilesize (@ min. tile count) known, and perhaps already handled by splitter?

reg. 5: Global index? The figures I gave where using mkgmap without index. Wouldn't labels space requirement grow linear with tile count?

Cheers Felix