logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Test if POI is part of a line

From Felix Herwegh mlmmduk at herwegh.de on Sun Oct 16 18:33:32 BST 2022

Hi Gerd,

the quote ("best routable") was from Felix Hartmanns opening post. I
just try to render my maps as focussed and decluttered as possible for
keeping a bike rolling without loosing too much attention on the map
while not using routing. But as far as I understand I see similarities
in identifying objects to omit.

In my question I was addressing situations similar to the example from
the Wikis barrier=gate section
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dgate> (either with or
without an additional barrier=fence or the like crossing), a barrier
node being part of two ways hence being processed from both by
--add-pois-to-lines.

    /Based on the location below, the gate node should be the end of a
    way. A new way starts with the gate node and it should have the
    access set to private if the access is restricted. /

    /x------x------O++++x++++x /

      * /|x|//= node//
        /
      * /|O|//= node with barrier=gate/
      * /|------|//default way/
      * /|+++++|//way with access=private/

For example

    /Punkt: 17848298//
    //  Datensatz: 230db4cd//
    //  ...//
    //  Merkmale: //
    //    "access"="private"//
    //    "barrier"="gate"//
    //  Koordinaten: 54.1016042, 11.5995597//
    //  ...//
    //  Teil von: //
    //    Linie: Dünenstraße (3629239)//
    //    Linie: 546855848//
    //    Linie: 81154811/

Hence, having a gate between a bad track (later on not rendered due to
quality, already filtered from the RaceSurf include) and an acces=no
road (later on not rendered for just that) could have rendered an
isolated gate from the latter road segment.
That's where I took the problematic turn, trying to make a decision on
all possible ways connecting a gate, instead of more consequently
filtering all roads before having points derived from them in the first
place. So another RelevantRoads include file for dual use in points and
lines it will be.

But:
For my sample above, the gate then still will be rendered from the
"Dünenstraße", although not needed, since "Dünenstraße" will just end
there in my map because neither of lines 546855848 or 81154811 will be
rendered.
Honestly, I was additionally flirting with trying to use different icons
for gates with and without a barrier line (fence), since those without
and on suitable roads occasionally could just void nice shortcuts for a
bike... :-)

 >I see no need to add lots of logic...

Sorry, that was not my intention. I'm still searching my way into OSM
and mkgmap and only wanted to make shure, not to miss an existing
concept as more than once before. I should better have omitted that raw
idea of mine, thought it might help understand my train of thought.

Cheers, Felix