logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] finding out more about the size taken by elements in generated map

From Jozef Riha jose1711 at gmail.com on Fri Jan 28 10:48:53 GMT 2022

Thank you, Ticker. I was able to run this program w/o issues even on Linux
(via wine). Statistics tab gives quite a shallow view, it is not able to
answer questions like:

 - am I saving any space if I don't include "name" in the point
(restaurants without name)? In other words: how much data is used for
labels or other attributes. Does it make any sense to use shorter labels or
group them (pizza foo and pizza bar becomes "pizza" - will it be reused?)
 - How many kBs is taken by 50000 footways or 1000 polylines. The count
itself is not really helpful
- Is there any padding involved so it makes sense to make labels shorter
just "enough" to not waste a single byte
- Other statistics - data cannot be exported easily (even via clipboard)

That means it's still going to be a lot of trial & error (if I do this - am
I getting a smaller output and by how much?).