logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap doing excessive writing and converting to disk if used with --gmapi option

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Sep 19 10:39:42 BST 2021

Hi ael,

>It seems to be profligate in its use of disk cycles.
Any further prove for this despite the gmapi directory?
While I do agree that the whole tool chain (download complete *.osm.pbf, maybe convert to *.o5m, maybe mix with contour data, splitter, and finally compile with mkgmap) is very I/O intensive I really don't see much room for improvements in mgmap. The program keeps most of the data in memory before writing the final result, only data for the global index files which are likely to grow very large are written to tempory files.