logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] text updates mapnik.txt (TYP file)

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Mon Dec 7 12:29:22 GMT 2020

Hi Karl & Gerd

The comments starting:
;GRMN_TYPE: ...come from TYPViewer idea of what the code should be used for and are
not 'absolute', and, for city/town/etc might be very different from
mkgmap default style usage.

Some other comments to your later questions embedded. Often there isn't
a good answer.
Apart from me not understanding Swedish so unable to comment on the
translations, the file looks good.

Ticker

On Sun, 2020-12-06 at 13:24 +0100, 7770 wrote:
> Hi.
> After some long time i had a chance to update also the points in the
> example mapnik.txt TYP file. I have added swedish descriptions to the
> extent possible (almost all).
> The file is attached, if you would like me to create some patch which
> you can easier check in, do let me know how i should create it.
>

> I have also noted a few cases (see further down) where the overall
> text is not matching the values in the descriptions. I have not
> changed them at this time.
>
> Regards
> Karl
>

> Sized not matching:
>
> [_point]
> type=0x006
> subtype=0x00
> ;GRMN_TYPE: Political Entities/CITY_200K/City with the range of (200,
> 500]
> thousand inhabitants/Non NT
> String=Small City / Large Town
> String1=0x01,Ville (>50k)
> String2=0x02,Stadt (50t)
> String4=0x03,Woonplaats (>50k)
> String6=0x07,Stad (> 50 t.)
> String7=0x15,Miasto (>50 tys.)
> String8=0x10,Cidade (>50k)
> String9=0x05,Città

This is used for place=city with population 100k to 200k and
                 place=town with population >= 70k
so the default, more general description, is most accurate

> Hamlet is usually much smaller than 5000 inhabitants.
> Often as few as 100-200.
>
> [_point]
> type=0x00b
> subtype=0x00
> ;GRMN_TYPE: Political Entities/CITY_5K/City with the range of (5, 10]
> thousand
> inhabitants/Non NT
> String=Hamlet
> String1=0x01,Nom
> String2=0x02,Name
> String4=0x03,Naam
> String6=0x07,By
> String7=0x15,Nazwa
> String8=0x10,Nome
> String9=0x05,Borgo

This is used for place=town with population <= 1000
             and place=hamlet

> Grocery store intended but many descriptions show bakery.
> [_point]
> type=0x02e
> subtype=0x02
> ;GRMN_TYPE: Business - Shopping/GROCERY_STORE/Grocery store/Non NT
> String=Grocery Store
> String1=0x01,Boulangerie
> String2=0x02,Bäckerei
> String4=0x03,Bakker
> String6=0x07,Livsmedelsaffär
> String7=0x15,Piekarnia
> String8=0x10,Padaria
> String9=0x05,Alimentari/Drogheria

This type/subtype is well defined by Garmin as Shopping > Grocery but
because of the limited explicit Garmin shopping types, has to cover
many OSM food shopping usages. The Bakery descriptions are misleading.

> What is this intended to be?
> An office, or a prison?
> [_point]
> type=0x030
> subtype=0x07
> ;GRMN_TYPE: Business - Emergency and Government/GOV_OFFICE/Government
> Office/Non NT
> String=Government Office
> String1=0x01,Prison
> String2=0x02,Gefängnis
> String3=0x04,Prison / Public Building
> String4=0x03,Gevangenis
> String7=0x15,Więzienie
> String8=0x10,Prisão
> String9=0x05,Istituto governativo

This is well defined by Garmin as Community > Government Office. The
default style does also use it for Prison and maybe this is not ideal,
but allows it to be searched for.