logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] garmin zumo XT

From Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com on Mon Aug 10 07:34:33 BST 2020

Thanks from me too. I currently have two Garmin Montanas but have always
been curious about the more modern Zumo models. I can put that issue to
rest now because I make my own maps with mkgmap. It's tricky enough getting
everything right with a Garmin GPS that behaves "normally". My Montana
works well enough to do what I want with it.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 8:59 AM brad <bradhaack at fastmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ticker
> That helped a lot.    What I learned is that the Zumo does not like any
> custom types for points.   I tested it with my typ file and the mapnik
> one.   If there is something in the type file, nothing shows up on the zumo
> for that type code.   It does show me what the garmin icons are, so I'll
> have to work with that.   It really unfortunate, lesson learned: don't buy
> a zumo.
> Brad
>
> On 8/7/20 4:42 AM, Ticker Berkin wrote:
>
> Hi Brad
>
> test-map:all-elements isn't documented except in it's source:
>

> https://svn.mkgmap.org.uk/mkgmap/mkgmap/trunk/src/uk/me/parabola/mkgmap/reader/test/AllElements.java
>
> It generates a map with blocks of POI, lines and polygons, both named and
> unnamed.
>
> You might need to zoom in to see things.
>
> The TYP file sameOrder.txt does not supply any icons; maybe Qmapshack
> doesn't either - I've never used it.
>
> It does non-obvious things like using a non-standard background for half
> the above blocks and no background for the others, ie like a transparent
> map. This required setting POI_FLAG_TRANSPARENT for the test map to be
> displayed on the devices I tried. Maybe qmapshack has a different
> understanding.
>
> How are the polygons messed up?
>
> I don't know anything about zumo/themes - sorry.
>
> Ticker
>
> On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 16:10 -0600, brad wrote:
>
> Even if I load a theme file with nothing in it, it doesn't seem to matter.
> I have worked out a set of typ codes for the roads and trails that work.
> Now I'm looking at points (POI), and I'm getting almost nothing on the
> Zumo.   The only POI I'm getting is a WC using the Openfietsmap_full style
> & mapnik typ.
>
> Ticker Berkin posted a while back about a test map,  this sounds useful,
> so I generated a map with this:
> java -jar ~/Apps/Mkgmap/mkgmap-r4565/mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --verbose
> --order-by-decreasing-area test-map:all-elements
> ~/Apps/Mkgmap/mkgmap-r4565/examples/typ-files/sameOrder.txt
> But I must be missing something because that doesn't show any POI's on
> Qmapshack on my desktop, and the polygons are messed up.
> Is this feature documented anywhere?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska