logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style lines enhancements

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Thu Jul 30 14:08:00 BST 2020

Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk> writes:

> I was only going to join up paths that share a node with the edge of
> the car park - I wasn't going to do anything with paths that just go
> near the edge.

I think that's irregular tagging, and not likely to be interpreted the
way to intend by a number of routers, but I agree that this is a
reasonable interpretation for mkgmap of that tagging when it occurs,
which is the only thing that matters here.

> I disagree with the assertion that there are always parking isles and
> if these don't exist in the OSM data for a car park it has not been
> mapped correctly and should be fixed. This might be true in cities and
> out-of-town shopping areas but is rarely true in the UK for car parks
> in woods etc.

I didn't mean there were always clear aisles.  Just that you can
usually/almost-always draw a way that goes into the area that more or
less represents what you can do.

> Personally I disagree with the OSM requirement that footways from in/on
> the car park should be joined - this is just making up data that
> doesn't exist on the ground.

The real issue is that the OSM tagging scheme is not rich enough to
capture these nuances, and thus different people have different
preferred ways to approximate reality given the tagging scheme that
exists.  Clearly a difference of opinion among reasonable people --
thanks for the discusision.