logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Jul 16 09:36:56 BST 2020

Hi Joris,

my understanding is that we talk about roads with road_class > 0 (highway=tertiary, secondary ... ) which go through cities.
A highway=residential is rarely a better alternative for such a road but another major road going around the city (center) might be.
If both are alternatives are highway=secondary the default style might select the shorter route through the city.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Joris Bo <jorisbo at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. Juli 2020 10:14
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

Hi,

In urban areas the 'practical maxspeed' is often lower then the 'official' maxspeed because of existence of traffic lights and traffic calmers.
I would rely on the intended routing basics of road_class and corresponding maxspeeds and the common usage of highway types and tagging in osm.

Maybe it helps to make these roads less attractive for the routing engines to check for traffic lights.
Because these are node-tags and not line-tags I don't know the exact impact.

highway = residential & highway=crossing & crossing=traffic_signals {set mkgmap:road-speed=-2}
highway = residential & traffic_calming=table   { set mkgmap:road-speed=-1}
highway = residential & access = destination { set mkgmap:road-speed=-2}

Joris