logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Tue Jul 7 13:28:40 BST 2020

> The mkgmap default style doesn't understand maxspeed:practical.

Thanks.  I was unclear on this.

I would suggest that mkgmap should in the default style use the first
one of these that is defined:

  maxspeed:practical
  maxspeed:advisory (yellow sign, in the US, not a requirement, but advice)
  maxspeed (legal limit)

I am unclear on if advisory is used in non-US places.  Here we often
e.g.  have yellow "45" signs on curves on roads with "55" limit (white)
signs, and on exit ramps (slip roads in en_GB, *_link in osm).
Sometimes the advisory speeds are sensible, some times they are way too
low and occasionally they are too high.  A great case for using
practical to fix them.

I would expect this to be quite necessary in rural UK and IE, as it
seems there is a tradition of 100 km/h or 60 mph outside town centers,
but at times roads often narrower/twisty such that at least I didn't
think it wise.

(The US doesn't do this so much; very rarely is the legal limit unsafe.
There are dirt roads where :practical should be used, though.)