logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu May 30 12:30:35 BST 2019

Hi Benny,

the bounds.zip is an extract of the OSM database. You can create such a file on your own, see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/options#Using_preprocessed_bounds_for_the_address_index

You have several options, none is quick or simple:
1) If you think that the data in OSM is really wrong, you can edit the data and wait until a new bounds-latest.zip is available
2) If you think the data is correct but you want different hebrew strings you can either
2a) extract the data from OSM, edit it locally(with JOSM) and create a bounds.zip from that local copy or
2b) add rules to the style which change the unwanted strings to the wanted before they are written to the garmin map

The last method is the usual one, but it seems you have no idea what a style does or how the rules work, so either get familiar with that or maybe ask someone who can read hebrew and has some programming skills to help you.
I can help when you think that a rule doesn't work as documented, but I can't (and don't want to) write the rules for you.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Bennyd999 at gmail.com <bennyd999 at gmail.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2019 13:08
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Problem with search on garmin on HEBREW maps

Hello again,

Well the problems that i have are the following:
When i' trying to find a strees like the one that you have used in your
example, and then i'm trying to find it only in the city of tel aviv, i cnat
find it but when i'm writing (in hebrew) to serch in Tel aviv central
district, then the garmin able to find it.

I'm using the bounds-latest.zip and this give me the ability to find that
street but i whant to be able to find it by the city name and not by the
district name....

is there away to solve that using the style files?  or i need to do
something with the bounds-latest file.

Thanks again
Benny,