logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter, mapid

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Mon Dec 17 08:21:24 GMT 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 17, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've never tried it, but my understanding was that you can have the same tile (mapid) in two different gmapsupp files.
> E.g. you might create a tile containing an area around Hamburg and put that tile into a gmapsupp for Germany as well as another
> one for Lower Saxony.
> If that is right it would explain why you have to make sure that the content of two tiles with the same id doesn't differ.

Correct, this works, but only if the tile is 100% identical for both maps.
Or in other words: create a big map and select tiles from this map to build smaller
maps. So the same as if you select tiles in mapsource from a bigger map and transfer
them to the GPS device.

  Thorsten

> @Brad: I think the current documentation about the meaning of all those names and ids is not perfect because the authors of mkgmap
> were still learning when the docu was created, and it's an ongoing process ;-)
> Feel free to improve the docu (post a patch or maybe a new version of one or more files).

Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS