logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing addr:place addresses

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Dec 3 05:58:02 GMT 2018

Hi all,

this is for sure confusing. I think the problem is in the data flow.
Current implementation works like this:
1) Single OSM ways are passed to the style rules
2) The style can create 0, 1 or more routable lines (=roads) and 0 or more other lines for this single OSM way.
3) The next step is to fix "wrong angles" so that zig-zagging is reduced
4) Now ways that represent roads are merged when they have similar attributes
5) The ways representing roads are then converted to a different data structure called MapRoad.
6) Finally the housenumber code tries to add address information to those MapRoad instances. There are several concepts in OSM
to represent adresses, the normal one is addr:housenumber + addr:street, another one is the combination
of addr:housenumber + addr:place. The latter is typically used in rural areas where you have a
few buildings with the same addr:place value. In reality, those buildings often have a service way but it is rarely mapped.
If it is mapped mkgmap tries to add the address information to that service road. This also means that it has to add a label to an
unnamed road, else address search would not work. Without a nearby service road it adds the address information to the next best road.
If that road has a name that doesn't match the name given with addr:place mkgmap adds another label for the place name.
The problem starts when such a "next best road" passes several places with different names since roads can only have 4 labels.

The merging (step 4) should probably be moved to the end of this chain and the housenumber processing should be able to split
a way when it cannot add enough labels or maybe add a "virtual" service road where needed. Such a virtual road would have a zero length,
zero road class and speed. I have to try how that would influence routing. Same with splitting. Both methods may make the road less attractive.