logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] methods to write signed / unsigned integers

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Tue May 15 10:14:25 BST 2018

Hi Gerd

This case of composing 12bit lat and lon values into 3 bytes should use
put3s() with the way the code is at the moment; the first val (latOff)
is signed and shifting it preserves the sign so the whole thing is
allowed to be negative.

However:

1/ It would be clearer to mask both the lat and lon when composing the
value, then it should use put3u

2/ Examples like this might suffer the +-180 degree problem you've
noted in your other post. I think this one won't because they are
offsets from a center.

3/ My preference is for flags and butmasks to be handled as unsigned,
especially as a lot of them contain smaller unsigned values in the
bottom bits

Ticker