logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Slash character in name

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Dec 22 15:14:10 GMT 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 02:34:57PM +0000, Brian Egge wrote:
>For destinations or names with more than one line, it's common to have
>each line separated by a forward slash. I've tried to customize my map
>to replace semicolon with slash, but the slash does not appear. Is the
>slash an allowed character in a name or destination? I'm using the
>Latin1 character set.

It should be allowed at least in names. A long time ago, I added a rule
to the default style that applies the names from type=boundary relations
to the lines, and I used the slash as a separator. It worked on my
Garmin Edge 705.

I think that the rule was effectively removed later, by the special
processing of boundaries. The rule is still there (or was as of r3643),
in the file resources/styles/default/relations, but probably
unreachable. I no longer have any Garmin device, so I cannot reliably
test this.

BTW, note that ${attribute} and $(member_attribute) refer to different
objects in the apply rules. I implemented the logic for
$(member_attribute), so that you could write such rules in the first
place. The $() syntax refers to the attributes of relation members,
while ${} refers to the attributes of the relation on which the apply is
being executed.

Best regards,

	Marko