logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] patch for omitting nearby POIs with the same name and type

From Mike Baggaley mike at tvage.co.uk on Mon Aug 24 17:42:29 BST 2015

Hi Gerd, both good points - I have fixed them. However, since posting and
further evaluating the results, I have come to the conclusion that whilst
the first attempt was an improvement, it was somewhat simplistic in its
approach. As ever, I started thinking of something simple and then realised
there was a better way to handle the problem. What I wanted to be able to do
was for some duplicate POIS just delete the duplicates, for others it would
be better to keep the POIS but delete the duplicate names (for example a set
of communications masts that have all been individually named with the same
name) and for yet others it would be better to delete the duplicate POI, but
move the remaining one to a midpoint between the two (useful for
multi-carriageway bridges to get the name between the carriageways and also
for roundabout names). Also, the distance for a POI to be considered a
duplicate needed to depend on the type of POI. A bollard 3m away from
another I would not consider to be a duplicate, but a roundabout 200m away
with the same name should be. I've therefore come up with another option
--nearby-poi-rules which specifies a list of rules about how to handle
nearby POIs.

Please find the updated patch attached.

Any suggestions for improvement gratefully received.

Regards,

Mike