logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Complex ocean polygon hiding the islands

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Feb 28 07:45:59 GMT 2015

Hi Alexandre,

yes, simplification happens in various places. The reasons are limits in the Garmin
format as well as optimization of the img file size.

1) The Garmin img format uses a raster with ~2.3 m distance at resolution 24.
I think of it as a bed of nails, you can draw straigt lines between any of the nails.
Details below this resolution are removed. We use two different algos for lines and shapes
here, so expect slightly different results for outlines.
2) The Garmin format doesn't allow a single polygon with more than 255 points, so mkgmap
has to split a complex polygon into smaller pieces.
3) For lower resolutions, the raster is less precise, means, for 23 points are ~4.6m, 22 -> ~9.6m and
so on.
4) For lower resolutions, a variant of the Douglas-Peucker-Algo is used to reduce the img size.
You can change the effect of this by using the "Optimization options":
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/options

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramer%E2%80%93Douglas%E2%80%93Peucker_algorithm

Gerd