logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] help needed

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Aug 2 11:12:17 BST 2014

Hi Andrzej,

I use MapSource 6.16.3 and it doesn't show the great circle line
when I open the attached gpx file.
What did you did to create your picture?
Up to now I found only one tool which seems to show
the great circle: Google Earth

This is quite important. If Garmin software doesn't care
about the difference, we can remove more (or different)
points from the img file without visible effects.

Ciao,
Gerd

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 13:45:18 +0200
From: popej at poczta.onet.pl
To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] help needed

Hi Gerd,

 > JOSM doesn't display the so called great circle

It's a bit disappointing that QGIS and Global Mapper don't use great
circles either. Probably for faster redraw.

Global Mapper can use great circle for distance tool. Drawing all lines
with this tool I can estimate distance to about 14km. Funny is that
great circle comes 14km above point D, while rhumb line is 29km below D.
Your reference was correct saying, that D is right of course.

Mapsource draws direct routes as great circle, this can be used to
calculate distance too, see attached picture.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej