logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Turn restriction angle checks

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Mar 30 12:28:09 BST 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:49:53PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:05:15AM -0700, GerdP wrote:
>>the via-ways branch is almost done
>
>I just cloned and built it, and already addressed one error message
>that it emitted (redundant turn restriction, prohibiting turn against
>oneway direction).
>
>In the same crossing, there was a wrong turn restriction that an
>automated check might detect too:
>
> \
>---->---- (oneway)
>   \
>
>On a crossing like this, there is a very sharp turn (135 degrees to
>right from the diagonal road to the horizontal road), and the turn
>restriction said no_left_turn. I guess it should have said
>no_right_turn. I changed it to only_straight_on (role=from and
>role=to being the diagonal road).

Maybe the patch is actually trying to address the above situation. The
above case was version 1 in
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2350374/history

I think that the new code is generating noise for a U-shaped oneway
"handles" on major twoway roads (a parking lane for making a break, only
accessible from one direction of travelling). Here is an example:

2014/03/29 19:56:21 SEVERE (RoadNetwork): 63240005.osm.pbf: Turn
restriction http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/298645 (at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=61.346723&mlon=26.206187&zoom=17)
check special case from = to arc 2014/03/29 19:56:21 SEVERE (RouteNode):
63240005.osm.pbf: check: old code would have selected wrong arc from
road  42859595  instead of road  32485453
2014/03/29 19:56:21 SEVERE (RoadNetwork): 63240005.osm.pbf: Turn
restriction http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/298646 (at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=61.346238&mlon=26.204694&zoom=17)
check special case from = to arc

These two relations are forbidding a U-turn via this "handle". I agree
that it is more intuitive to map this with only_straight_on, but at the
same time I think that this should only be a WARNING, not SEVERE.

I will be replacing this kind of situations with only_straight_on, and I
think that a WARNING is OK. But, I think that mkgmap should generate the
same routing graph with only_straight_on and no_*_turn (with different
role=to ways, of course).

	Marko