logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address search confused by place=* with name,ref

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Dec 25 21:09:02 GMT 2013

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 02:02:00PM +0100, Andrzej Popowski wrote:
>using ref tag for name is programmed in default style, see file
>inc\name. I think you can correct it in file points, moving line
>"include inc\name" after definitions for tag "place".

Right, this would fix the problem for place=*. But, before fixing that,
I would like to ensure that the boundary=administrative relations are
working in a similar way.

I guess that the inc/names is not such a good idea for other than
commercial POIs (shops, fuel stations, anything with a fee). The ref=*
does make sense for roads, but operator=* (such as the maintenance
operator) or brand=* probably do not. However, there is no problem for
roads in the default style, because the 'lines' file is not referring to
inc/names.

In Finland, street names are supposed to be unique within a municipality
or city (admin_level=8). So, for the address index it would be best to
only use the 'city' name from the boundary relations, and to ignore any
suburbs or city parts. If I now search for Vantaa, I will find some
streets located in the city. Other streets would have to be sought in
city parts such as Vantaanportti and Vantaanlaakso. Hardly anybody would
know all the city parts.

While the suburb or city part borders are useless for address search,
they could still be interesting on the map display, because the Finnish
'cities' typically contain many 'towns' separated by large areas of
nearly uninhabited farmland or forest.

Another issue is that the boundary naming rule in
styles/default/relations does not seem to have any effect any more. The
boundary lines near my home are only listing one of the relation
'owners' instead of showing all names that were added to
mkgmap:boundary_name. The lines used to list all municipal or provincial
borders (e.g., Kerava/Sipoo/Helsingin seutukunta/Itä-Uusimaa/whatnot).
Now only one name is being shown at random. On the Finnish/Russian
border, that name is 'Suomi' (Finland in Finnish) for a few sections of
the border, but many sections have some transliterated label from some
Russian boundary=administrative relation.

I wonder if it would be possible to define up to 4 labels for an
administrative border, like for streets. If it is possible to show only
one label for a border, it should be that of the municipality ('city'),
not smaller (suburb or village) or bigger (province, state or country,
if the municipality happens to be on a provincial border).

I think that it could make sense to define separate lines for interstate
or international borders (so that the major border could be overlapped
with a lesser border that belongs to the municipality or province
bounded by the same line).

Best regards,

	Marko