logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Why do we have the "Area too small to split at ..." message

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Jan 15 11:12:44 GMT 2013

Hi,

I wonder if this message is really useful.
I see this typically for large shapes, the last example from
Thorsten has two identical large shapes (the island Rügen)

The message is printed because
area.getEstimatedSizes()
returns values that are higher than some limits.
The problem: area.getEstimatedSizes() ignores the filters
which are used to reduce the number of points, so the
error message may be printed without any reason.

I think it would be better to do something like this:
 oldPos = buffer.getPosition()
 add the shape
 bytes = buffer.getPosition() - oldPos;
 if (bytes > LIMIT) {
   print error message
}

This would also allow to report the name of the shape that is probably
corrupted.
Of course, the same can be done for ways or node.

What do you think?