logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] OT: Edge 705 firmware hacking

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Dec 7 21:18:25 GMT 2011

Two weeks ago, the USB interface of my Edge 705 broke in such a way that
the unit no longer enters the mass storage mode. I saw something similar
twice earlier when the FAT file system in the internal memory was
corrupted, but back then I was able to force it by repeatedly pressing
the Power button while the unit was connected to the computer. Now the
FAT seems to be OK: the base map is accessible, etc. Also the connector
hardware looks OK. I opened the 6 Torx screws and measured the
continuity from a USB cable to the gold-plated connector fingers on the
daughterboard, and it was OK. I suppose that the USB interface on the
main board (SoC?) is broken. This unit is already out of warranty and
out of production, too.

I can update firmware and maps via the SD card. So, I was thinking of
update files that I have saved) so that I could tell the unit to write
its *.tcx files to the SD card. Does anyone have any pointers?

This breakage was an excuse for me to buy a SonyEricsson Xperia Active.
The hardware is nice (accelerometers, barometer, electronic compass, GPS
accuracy comparable with the Edge, camera comparable to 10-year-old
pocket camera, ANT+Sport, WLAN, GSM, 3G, you name it, water and dust
proof), but it lacks a bicycle handlebar mount.

One misfeature is common with the Edge 705: unpredictable reboots or
shutdowns. Current uptime record is 26 hours and counting. In the 6 days
I have had it, it has entered a reboot loop several times, and twice I
had to move the SIM card to my old dumbphone for the rest of the day,
because I did not feel like waiting for the reboot and re-entering the
PIN every 5 minutes.

The Android GPS software is less than nice. MyTracks could become an
adequate data logging application if it gained support for the
barometric altimeter, the electronic compass and the Garmin GSC-10
wheel&cadence sensor. Currently, it only records the heart rate and the
GPS data. I did not find any good (open source) navigation application
with offline vector maps and offline route calculation. So, it looks
like it will take at least a few years before Garmin navigators and
mkgmap will become obsolete. In any case, a unit with dedicated buttons
should be easier to use than a touchscreen device.

	Marko