logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing problem and question about footways

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Wed May 18 06:27:35 BST 2011

On Tue, May 17, Francisco Moraes wrote:

> I had a routing problem a long time ago and never understood the reason.
> Now that I have made several map contributions, fixes and compiled my
> own map, I thought I found the reason for the routing failure. This is
> the area in question:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.85391&lon=-78.87081&zoom=17&layers=M
>
> If you route near the bridge between the buildings or to a point where
> it is the closest element that's routable, there is a routing error. I
> removed that footway between the buildings, recompiled the map and the
> problem went away. So, any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

This can only be fixed by fixing the OSM data: Either connect all
routeable ways or mark this special bridge as not routeable.

> Also, should footways be routable by default when using MapSource or the
> GPS?

Of course they should, why not? I personally need it very often.

> Just wondering what's the best solution for this type of problem.
> I've found many instances of footways/cycleways that are not properly
> connected to the near by roads that cause this type of routing problem.

The only solution is to fix the data. Here in Nuernberg, somebody did
draw all plattforms for public transport and marked them as footway,
but didn't connect them with the street. As result, you always get an
routing error if you try to route to a stop position for bus or tram...

  Thorsten