logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter output files are nearly empty

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Tue May 3 22:12:25 BST 2011

On 03-05-11 20:01, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 05:48:55PM +0200, Lambertus wrote:
> I assume that GC means garbage collection. Which JVM are you using? An
> educated guess is that the memory runs out and a "full garbage
> collection" cycle is started as a last resort.

Ok, "Garbage Collection" sounds reasonable, but I gave Java 7.5 GB heap
space while it used only a few hundred megabytes. I've got no idea why
it would run out of memory.

java version "1.6.0_24"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

>> - Is input from stdin still functional/supported for splitter?
> I am not sure. I am using pbf output.

Yeah, I'm slow in moving to pbf, but is OSM XML really not
functional/supported anymore? Splitter seems to accept the XML in the
first phase without complaints. It's only in the step where it starts to
write-out the tiles that is starts to complain. It would be better if
Splitter rejects the input if it can't handle it properly later on?
> Why not use
>
> osmosis --rb world.osm.pbf ... --wb filtered-world.osm.pbf
>
> and
>
> ... splitter.jar filtered-world.osm.pbf

Well I wanted to run multiple processes at the same time to utilize the
quadcore CPU better and reduce processing time (but, then I shouldn't
have used bz2 XML in the first place). Ok, I'll try this next.
> I am not sure if the --cache option still works. It was sort of
> superceded or made unnecessary by the Protobuf input format support.

Oh, if it's not working anymore then I assume it will ignore the option.
Or is this too simple thinking?

Thanks for the response Marko. I'll start a new run using Osmosis pbf
output.