logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] style-file: tourism=resort

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Jul 25 08:48:49 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 04:03:00AM +0200, Daniela Duerbeck wrote:
>I have a question about this tag.
>In my Garmin Oregon, I find four different types for lodging:
>Hotel/Motel, Bed&Breakfast, Resort and Campground. In the default style
>I find tourism=resort but I cannot find a single use of this tag in
>Europe: http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Europe/En/keystats_tourism.html
>shows holiday_resort used once, but no resort
>
>In the official taglist there is also no resort:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tourism
>
>So why is it in the default style when it is not used? Or are there
>some holiday resorts tagged in the USA? (Is there a tagwatch for the
>USA?) Or is it in the default style since Garmin thinks it is
>necessary, but noone in osm thinks this too?
>
>So many questions ...

"svn blame" reveals that I added it last January, in r1458, in an
attempt to cover more of the built-in Garmin types:

Enable some POIs in the default style: amenity=car_club, natural=stream,
shop=boat, shop=car_wrecker, sport=airport, tourism=resort.

What would you suggest then? Translate tourism=holiday_resort to this
type as well? Not being a native speaker or a fan of hot weather, I
would guess that "resort" means a "tourist trap" in a warm area next to
a sandy beach. What is used for the tourist locations along the
Mediterranean sea or the Caribbean and Pacific oceans?

	Marko