logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] a FIXME map style

From Christoph Wagner freemaps.osm at googlemail.com on Wed Mar 31 17:08:00 BST 2010

2010/3/29 maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>:
> I can't find a worldwide data dump.  But here's a sample in my area:

Hi, I asked the author of the keepright project and he gave me a database dump.
He will try to make it public available as soon as he can, but first
he will do some changes and his server is not good enough. So he will
possibly change to dev.openstreetmap.de.

I took the dump he gave me and wrote a sed-skript to parse this stuff
and made a osm-xml file.

Yes, I know, sed looks ugly but it is faster than the other stuff I tried.

You can find the keepright-dump that I had (it is from 29. March), the
converted osm-xml created from the dump and the bash skript that
converted it here:

http://dev.openstreetmap.de/aio/keepright_experimental/

Now the next step is to create an mkgmap stylefile and a corresponding
typfile that matches the tags in the converted dump file.
I would suggest to name it keepright_style and the typfile keepright.TYP

It would be nice if somebody could do that. I simply don't have the
time and enough knowledge about keepright to do that good.

I think on a garmin map you don't need every kind of error from
keepright. Only some of them can be corrected by viewing the reality
outside. For example I usually don't care about data errors like
duplicated nodes etc. while I am mapping outdoors.

By the way I don't know if we could take the whole europe dump and
make one tile or if we have to split it first.
I think to develope the styles you could start with a smaller area
(you can use osmosis to cut a bounding box of your choice or if you
have enough memory and time ;) you can do it with josm).
I think it is clear but please be carefull and do not upload this data
to the osm database!

So, now have much fun. *g*

Thanks!
Christoph