logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] setting display_name to "name "

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sun Mar 21 22:41:05 GMT 2010

On 21.03.2010 23:29, Mark Burton wrote:
> Felix,
>

>> I'm not setting multiple labels. The display_name is the name shown for
>> routing instructions. If not set, the ref alone will be taken instead.
>> So instead of say "left on A11 Westautobahn" the GPS will only say "left
>> on A11".
>>
> Hmm, for me, I still get the longer routing instruction.
>
> For example, if the first label is "B5395" (with a highway shield
> prefix) and the second label (set through display_name) is "Oldhall
> Street (B5395)", then the routing instructions is:
>
> Turn right onto Oldhall Street (B5395)	2.5 km	1.5 km	0:02:16	0:03:44	46° true	N53.02019 W2.76553
Well that is intended behaviour. The first label is used to be "printed"
on the map, and display_name is only used if a highway-symbol is
present. Then it will be used. If display_name is not given, then your
first label would have been used. If neither is given, then it would
simply be "Oldhall Street".
The patch for the patch by Clinton, allows that display_name can be
identical to "name" and I find it pretty useful.

> The patch we're currently evaluating hasn't changed that behaviour.

Your version 4, disallowed setting display_name and name to the same value.