logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question to address search

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Mon Mar 15 11:27:06 GMT 2010

Ralf Kleineisel wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 11:04 PM, Daniela Duerbeck wrote:
>

>> I tried on several maps, [...] it seems to be dependent from
>> where I am. A road which is nearby can be found, but not one that is
>> farer away.
>>

> You can first search for the city in the city search. Then you can
> search for the street with the "near here" search.

As far as I can see (with a Streetpilot i3) the street-search offered
after you select a 'city' will only find streets within about 500m of
the "place=city/town/whatever" marker. ( This is using a single-tile map
straight from mkgmap. )

Currently, mkgmap's output .IMG file doesn't include an .MDR file (which
is a kind of master-index). You *can* get mkgmap to generate an .MDR
file, but it's the "wrong sort" for direct use in a Garmin GPS unit.
What you have to do is to feed mkgmap's .IMG file and the matching .MDR
file into 'mapsource' and get it to download the maps to the GPS unit.

Allegedly, that makes the street-searching work properly.

I have made a start on writing a stand-alone program to do what
'mapsource' does to convert the .MDR file to one that will work with the
in-car units. However, I have a job and a family and cannot put the
hours into the project that maybe I'd like. I do have some progress. But
of course it's not just about writing a program, it's about deciphering
the format of the .MDR file at the same time.

I tend to write up my findings on the .MDR file on the wiki at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/MDR_Subfile_Format

Anyone else with knowledge of the file format is encouraged to join in!

Steve