logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Wed Aug 5 23:45:02 BST 2009

Aha, thank you, this was very helpful! I've been doing most of my testing
with compressed osm files but I just did a few runs with an uncompressed
file instead and I see what you mean.

The problem was due to some buffering I'd added when reading the osm file.
It didn't make much difference for compressed files, but made the uncompressed
reading a lot worse. Here are the times I get when I run the splitter using
the same parameters and osm file as you:

old splitter: 117 secs
new splitter: 127 secs
new splitter (fixed buffering): 103 secs

I'm going to start getting this checked in to the codestore, but in the meantime
you can grab a new copy from http://redyeti.net/splitter.jar

Chris