logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Wed Aug 5 22:16:18 BST 2009

Exactly, uncompressing is pretty hard on the CPU so ideally we'd want to
make as few passes as possible. There are other factors too though, eg I'm
thinking about doing the decompression on one thread and the parsing/splitting
on another thread if there is more than one core available. I haven't yet
tried to profile the splitter but once I've got rid of most of the low-hanging
fruit I'll explore options like that a bit further. At this stage it's still
hard to know whether additional passes are going to be better or slower than
paging some of the data to disk.

Chris