logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Paul Ortyl ortylp at 3miasto.net.pl on Wed Jul 1 18:11:34 BST 2009

2009/7/1 Lambertus <osm at na1400.info>:
> Just to get some figures to talk about: On an 8 core machine with 8 gb ram
> it takes about 4 hours to split North/South America en about 1 hour to split
> the rest of the world. The pre-splitting of the planet into those two large
> sections is done using Osmosis in my case.
>
> So using a 10x processing time the splitting process still could be
> considered 'workable', but 20 to 100x processing time is not usable in
> production environments where weekly updates are applied. Getting some more
> RAM into your machine might be the easiest solution as long as the
> chipset/bios allows it (some cheap AMD chipsets/motherboards allow even 16GB
> ram). Ram is cheap these days.

My notebook (Thinkpad T500) is already maxed out.  The only help would
be replacing 2x2GB with 2x4GB and that is not cheap, it would mean
additional 50% of the original notebook price, otherwise I would
already be done.  Buying additional PC for splitter and mkgmap only is
not the thing I am willing to do.

I have just found some examples of the "tie" functionality for java:
http://www.arachna.com/roller/spidaman/date/20060208

Paul

--
Don't take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive.
                                        -- Elbert Hubbard