logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Size Limits

From f.hartmann felixhartmann at fh-krems.eu on Wed Dec 10 18:48:32 GMT 2008

No, I too don't know. The resulting .img can be around 11-16MB big maximum right now. It mainly depends on your style-files. I noticed however that options like --net do increase the .img size, without however inflicting upon whether that error incurs when generating or not (--net produces about 20% bigger tiles).
Instead of using osmosis (I wouldn't use osmcut, as it's too buggy for me - maybe others are more succesfull), you can also split up your maptiles by using several style-files. So you create one layer with all motorways, one layer with all residential roads, one layer for all polygons, one layer for all POI, etc... Just give them the same PID and FID and it works nicely. Garmin doesn't do such a seperation, so I don't know wheter it can break something. I do use this a lot however. I can easily get OSM files of 3-4 GB parsed without osmosis/osmcut by following this procedure. In Mapsource or on the gps you don't see a difference. When selecting maps for exporting to your gps you can't click on the maptiles in Mapsource however, but you have to capture them by drawing a rectangle while holding the left mouse button on selection. On click only one layer will be chosen, and not all. This is the only limitation I have found.

I noticed however that the Garmin Topo Adria 2.11 map has maptiles of up to 29MB in size. The tiles themselves do not support autorouting, but do have a built-in DEM (which is in seperate subfiles if you decompile the .img). So I don't know where the real limit is of how big tiles you could theoretically produce. I do think that the Topo Adria 2.11 tiles are in NT format too. I think mkgmap writes non NT format tiles so the limitations are different.

Felix
Andrew Ayre wrote:

I have an OSM file which is 836Mb in size. When I try to convert it to
an IMG file I get:

"There is not enough room in a single garmin map for all the input data
The .osm file should be split into smaller pieces first."

I understand how to solve this problem (osmosis, osmcut, etc.) but I'm
wondering what the size limit is and whether it is imposed by the IMG
file format or mkgmap. Does anyone know?

thanks, Andy

--
Andy
PGP Key ID: 0xDC1B5864

Diese Nachricht erhalten Sie von einem Studierenden der IMC Fachhochschule Krems. Für Übermittlungsfehler oder sonstige Irrtümer bei Übermittlung besteht keine Haftung seitens der IMC Fachhochschule Krems.

This message is being transmitted by an IMC student. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions as a result of the transmission.