logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r766: Write more of the *.mp-data.

From f.hartmann felixhartmann at fh-krems.eu on Thu Dec 4 22:02:59 GMT 2008

The shortest route does not even work with maps produced by Garmin themselves. The logarithm they are using is simply bad. It only works for very short distances (less than 4-5 intersections). Often shortest route is actually longer in distance than fastest route (tested for City Navigator and some routable topo maps.). Simply forget about shortest route, I don't think you are able to get it to work if Garmin is not. It seems to me that for Garmin shortest means something like, the shortest way alongside the vector between start and finish.
Felix
Alexander Atanasov wrote:

Hi,

On 12/4/08, Robert Vollmert <rvollmert-lists at gmx.net><mailto:rvollmert-lists at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2008, at 16:31, Alexander Atanasov wrote:
> > Links are helpful for fastest route, for shortest may be not.
> > Does the routing work in both modes as expected?
> >

> The "fastest" routes for cars look fine to me. The shortest routes
> are a little strange -- they make obvious detours. Also, the
> "Dist To Dest" is too low, I'm getting 15km instead of 17km for an
> example here. My guess would be that the arc lengths aren't all quite
> right.
>
> (We're not writing proper lengths in NET at all so far, but I don't
> think that should be involved in routing. More likely to do with
> addressing.)

Headings are angle of first and second point, and last-1 vs last.
Lenght should be sum of distances of all points in the line.
 How are lenghts calculated?

> I'm also noticing that when viewing the route on the map (all my testing
> is on a Vista HCx), it doesn't follow curvy segments at low zoom levels,
> cutting them straight instead. If I zoom in, the display is corrected.
> So probably, there's some curviness data missing.

  Are the roads present at that map level?
They should be even simplified as a signle point, that is polyline
with point and one zero  delta. And that segment is in net.

--
have fun,
alex

Diese Nachricht erhalten Sie von einem Studierenden der IMC Fachhochschule Krems. Für Übermittlungsfehler oder sonstige Irrtümer bei Übermittlung besteht keine Haftung seitens der IMC Fachhochschule Krems.

This message is being transmitted by an IMC student. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions as a result of the transmission.