logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question on routing difference

From Harri Suomalainen hsuomal at welho.com on Tue Jun 7 14:56:27 BST 2022

Garmin routing seems to be like it uses only major roads (based on route
class) to figure out any longer routes and uses small roads only in the
beginning and end to get to the larger routes.

This is a pain in bicycle routing because it can direct to large roads
even when wanted. It seems if there is no valid route, garmin uses what
is has. It can direct bicycle to a bicycle=no road like a major trunk or
motorway. (That is at least how my cycling garmin devices definately
work, even in cycle mode).

If you increase road class of smaller roads, they get taken into account
too. But the route calculation and recalculation can be VERY long. When
I tried elevating cycleways to similar class with motorways, a 17km
route took on some earlier devices something like 20mins to
calculate/recalculate the route.

I've never tried toll roads. Petrhaps I could misuse that in my style to
make large roads that bicycle is not allowed to be "toll" and make
garmin avoid them better. This message gave me an idea to try out. I've
no idea how well that would work as there are practically no toll roads
where I live.

>>> Jan