logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Minor documentation patch

From Mike Baggaley mike at tvage.co.uk on Sun Jan 9 14:07:01 GMT 2022

Hi Gerd,

Please find an updated patch that I think captures the way the option works.
I've tried to rewrite it as what it does rather than how it is implemented.
I've also included an update to the top level help that removes the link to
the OSM wiki as a provider of further information (it doesn't provide any)
and adds a link to the geofabrik website as a source for input data.

Let me know if you think the change still doesn't quite represent what
happens.
By the way, I'm not sure it is particularly logical to only remove words
from the end of the label.

There is also an error in the mkgmap home page, but the source doesn't seem
to be included in the mkgmap distribution so I can't send a patch. The last
sentence ends "and copy it to the cards in the Garmin directory" and I think
it should say "and copy it to the card's /Garmin directory".

Cheers,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerd Petermann [mailto:gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com]
Sent: 09 January 2022 08:12
To: Development list for mkgmap <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Minor documentation patch

Hi Mike,

thanks for the patch.  I fear the original text was really wrong. Your
suggestion is better but it still doesn't catch the case that all(!) words
might
be removed.

Assume  option --mdr7-del=PTH,TRK,UNP,PAV
and label is  "PTH UNP" or just "PTH"
In both cases the processing of --mdr7-del would end up
in an empty label and thus nothing is added to MDR7 section.

With a label "SCHILLERSTRASSE UNP" the part " UNP" is removed.
With a label "UNP SCHILLERSTRASSE" nothing is removed.

The code actually splits the label at every blank (space) into an
array of words. Then it removes from right to left if the last
word appears in the list. A label that doesn't contain a blank
is an array with one element.

I have no idea how well this works with languages that are read from
right to left, but that's a different story.

Maybe you find better wording?