logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Please help

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Dec 28 14:55:24 GMT 2021

Hi all,

those who have original garmin maps for the PC and know how to compile display tool:
Update to r575 or higher.
Please execute the program MdrDisplay on the global index of the map (e.g mdrmap.img) like this:
java -ea  -Xmx6800m -cp d:\display\dist\display.jar;d:\mkgmap\dist\mkgmap.jar test.display.MdrDisplay MDRMAP.img   --print=16 > mdr16.txt

(fix the paths to the two jar files, replace the ; by : on linux)

The expected result is a rather small text file (~32k) or a crash.
Please reply with your results, possibly zipped. I am esp. interested in crashes, but good data also might help to understand a few missing bits.

This is about a compression algorithm that is used in some old Garmin maps and I plan to implement that in mkgmap
to reduce file size of the global index file.

I've attached a sample output for the Adria Topo 2.4 map.