logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] generated gmapsupp incompatible (?) with eTrex Legend

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Dec 26 16:31:33 GMT 2021

Hi Jose,

sorry, I don't know how to help here. Maybe you can upload the two files to files.mkgmap.org.uk/
and we can check what the difference is.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von jose1711 <jose1711 at freeshell.de>
Gesendet: Samstag, 25. Dezember 2021 23:34
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] generated gmapsupp incompatible (?) with eTrex Legend

hello,

i am using mkgmap to generate gmapsupp img from an osm file, then uploading it via serial connection to eTrex legend (b/w version). i noticed the following behaviour:

- gmapsupp file created by mkgmap does not always show in the device (sometimes even the map metadata is missing) or there are glitches (lines across the whole screen on some zoom levels)

- same file opens just fine in gpxsee (https://www.gpxsee.org/)

- if i open tdb and matching .img file in qlandkarte (no longer being developed), select submap and export to gmapsupp, the new file is larger and the issues after uploading to garmin device are gone

what sometimes helps (with file coming out of mkgmap) is uploading with a speed of 9600 bauds (as opposed to 115200).

here's an example:

- mkgmap gmapsupp.img - 302592 bytes

- qlandkarte gmapsupp.img (same map) - 786432 bytes

i was checking a diff but could not make out anything (too many differences). haven't tried older versions of mkgmap or checking out other tools yet.

could you please advise?

thank you,

jose

ps: i can share both map files if it helps in any way.