logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [mkgmap-svn] Commit r572: MDR16 is some kind of codebook.

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Dec 15 17:35:05 GMT 2021

Hii Ticker,

reg. MDR16: When I print the encoded characters which require 8 or more bits in the order of the Huffman tree
they build a sequence which appears at the end of MDR 16 (last 60 bytes or so).
Those chars which are encoded with fewer bits are still a mistery to me.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Gerd Petermann <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2021 13:07
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev]       [mkgmap-svn]    Commit  r572:   MDR16   is      some    kind    of      codebook.

Hi Ticker,

it's almost impossible to guess when there is only one entry in MDR 30/31 and only one occurence of the code
"00000000000000000000".
I used '#' in my debug code to mark an "unknown" char.

A possible meaning could be that 30/31 are common prefixes and 32/33 are common suffixes in road names.
I doubt that this is related to the Huffman encoding. Maybe the code "00000000000000000000"
simply represents a special character that is replaced with a corresponding string in 30/31?

No idea how that would work with the suffixes.